High Blood Pressure
This page is designed to help you navigate the choices available and direct you towards the quickest and easiest way of getting help. Please select option that closely matches your need today. If you are having trouble finding an appropriate option, please call the practice reception.
0191-300-9631 / 0191 513 0884
Monitor your blood pressure at home
Here you can find resources for home monitoring, see our simple steps to get an accurate reading and make the most out of home monitoring. Plus, read more about why home monitoring can be helpful and how to choose a monitor.
The first step to managing your blood pressure is to Know Your Numbers! Watch the video provided by Blood Pressure UK to see how to measure your blood pressure at home and use our tips and resources below to check your own blood pressure at home.
Tips to control your blood pressure better
- Regular physical activity, aim for 30 mins/day for five days a week
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
- Reduce excess consumption of caffeine based drinks, limit to 1-2 cups max/day
- Keep salt to a minimum – average of no more than 5 grams a day (one small tea spoon)
- Limit alcohol to less than 14 units/week
- Avoid smoking