Keep Calm and Be Ready for Winter
Generally we feel unwell during the winter as we spend more time indoors and coughs and colds are passed around our family, friends and colleagues at work. If you are normally healthy there are many winter ailments and illnesses that can be easily treated at home with the aid of some common sense advice and a range of medicines you can buy from a shop or local pharmacy. To help you during the winter months, you can use this website to find out how you can treat some of those common winter illnesses.
- Make sure you get plenty of rest
- Take a painkiller if needed
- Keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet
Keep Calm and Call 111
Call 111 when you need medical help but it’s not a 999 emergency
- 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones
Keep Calm and Ask a Pharmacist
Pharmacists are experts in the use of medicines and they can diagnose and treat your winter illnesses.
- No appointment needed
- Open evenings and weekends
- Experts in winter health advice
- Will refer you to other NHS Services, if needed
Keep Calm and Antibiiotics aren't always the answer
Antibiotics don’t work for winter viruses.
- Antibiotics only fight infections caused by bacteria
- Bacteria can adapt and survive the effects of antibiotics, so they don’t always work
- The more you use antibiotics, the more resistant bacteria become
You can download the Keep Calm and Look After Yourself Leaflet for reference